Uses and Importance of Cloud Capacity Planning
Cloud capacity planning has been used for years to maximize on-premises resources. As cloud systems revolutionize IT, this technique is being expanded to provide comprehensive planning, administration, and utilization of all your resources – cloud and on-premises — in one location and simultaneously.
Cloud Capacity Management
The primary purpose of cloud capacity planning is to prevent cloud waste. Still, it's also critical to maintain an appropriate capacity for the services and applications that run on the public cloud. To make the most of your cloud investment while providing a positive experience for your clients and commercial users, use your capacity management tool to:
1. Examine your existing environment utilization to identify configuration changes that can be made to enhance the efficiency of cloud-based solutions.
2. Identify potential configuration changes that could increase performance.
3. Assess cloud assets for additional chances for productivity or performance improvement, such as discovering resources that have yet to be appropriately retired or resources that are still available but are not in use.
4. Develop new guidelines for cloud capacity planning based on data-driven suggestions, such as size, underutilized or overprovisioned capacity, etc.
Cloud Migration of On-Premises Resources and Apps
Before embarking on any cloud migration endeavor, you must first understand how your on-premises network is configured and the load consumption patterns so that you may make informed choices about the cloud resources you will require in cloud capacity planning, including kind, capacity, and configuration. As an example:
1. Before migrating any service or app to the cloud, it is critical to clear away on-premises consumption in terms of effective resource utilization to avoid overprovisioning and overpaying.
2. Many on-premises apps must be designed to use new cloud platform technology. As a result, fewer resource-efficient or process-efficient services can be provided, resulting in overprovisioning and high operational costs.
Cost Optimization and Containment
Effective cost control and optimization allow IT to provide a higher return on investment for the business while preserving cash for innovation. To that aim, you can use your cloud capacity planning solution to:
To that end, you can use your cloud capacity planning solution to:
1. Track metrics like average daily spending, month-to-date spending, consumption, compute hours per service, and quarterly and yearly spending predictions.
2. Conduct a price comparison for a current workload to determine how its expenses fluctuate among instance types and systems.
3. Develop a policy for pausing or terminating instances based on usage and expenditure limits.
Connecting the Cost Capacity of IT Solutions to Business Services
A business-centric perspective of capacity and usage can assist in aligning IT expenditure with business needs. This method consists of the following steps:
1. Identifying business solutions in terms of the IT services that support them.
2. Understand the capabilities of on-premises and cloud IT services.
3. Monitoring resource use and cost breakdown by service offering.
Produce Cost Management Reports
It is critical to have good sight into the total price of each service to optimize spending, minimize waste, and match investment with changing needs and priorities. Cloud capacity planning can collect the information required by IT and business divisions to make cost-effective choices based on the market prices of alternative solutions and the relative revenue of the professional services they power.
1. Align IT expenditures with apps, professional services, divisions, or customers.
2. Simulating the impact of architecture or cost model modifications on IT costs.
3. Creating cost breakdown reports for stakeholders to understand how the IT fund is being spent.
IT must achieve the ideal balance of available resources, cost, and utilization across on-premises and cloud systems to provide the most value to the company. A comprehensive solution to capacity and cost management gives you the information, knowledge, and management you need to keep your organization functioning at peak efficiency. You can maximize return on investment while preventing downtime and disruptions that can drive consumers away by maintaining the appropriate capacity for high-quality delivery of services while minimizing waste. To get help with cloud capacity planning, you can consult with Hvantage.